Thread: Do you cry?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
I don't remember whether or not you said you are an ACoA but I think it is one of the traits of ACoAs, to stuff our feelings, to not be in touch with our feelings. I personally do cry; no problem there. You may want to take up yoga. Once you get the positions down, it can help you to release your emotions, no exaggeration. It's all in the breath.
I am an ACOA (my dad was an alcohol abuser, not quite a problematic alcoholic but the behaviors and attitudes were all there) and I am a former yoga instructor. I still attend classes but don't have time in my schedule to teach anymore. Honestly, it's WAY better to attend a class than it is to teach. When I taught, I never got the relax time as I was always coaching others through it. So, I knew the relaxation benefit(via breath control and muscle relaxation) and was able to talk others through it but I never got to practice it myself unless I went to someone else's class. My favorite classes to teach were when I'd find students asleep on their mats after my class. I always felt like I did my job because they felt so relaxed. Well, either that or they didn't get enough sleep the night before, LOL!

Here's my yoga tip of the day: When you are relaxing at the end of your session(or laying in bed ready to fall asleep), remind yourself to release your tongue from the roof of your mouth. This helps relax the jaw and other facial muscles. It's amazing how much tension we hold in our jaws, our eyes, and foreheads. Bet you didn't realize that your tongue was up there either, did ya? LOL!