View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JrsJourney

DeniseM - How are you doing?

I would recommend you call a girlfriend or family member and explain to them you might need to go to their house at some point. Just get permission to go somewhere if you have to leave your house suddenly.

I understand you don't feel comfortable leaving right this second (I think I read that up there somewhere) But please just take the time NOW to prepare in case you have to leave suddenly.

I would then pack a weekend bag with some clothes, any medications you are taking and whatever else you might need. Then hide that bag near the front door so you can grab it in case you need to run out of the house. When I had to do this I also added my passport, all my bank information and any sentimental or expensive jewelry. It's always better to have an escape plan since you mentioned he can become violent.

If he wakes up do not try to talk to him or reason with him in any way. One thing I learned was never approach an active alcoholic when he is drunk. Mine used to black out so even if he would never do certain things when sober; when drinking he had no idea what he was doing or if he was hurting me.

Now, with the relapse, he really needs to start a program of recovery for himself. The only problem here is YOU cannot force him to do that. He has to be WILLING. He has to make the choice. What you CAN DO is help yourself. Be smart and be careful.

If you could find and Alanon meeting in your area that would be helpful for your recovery.

Please take care of yourself.