Thread: What to expect?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pock89

My boyfriend went away to 2 different detoxes on 2 separate occasions. He then spent 6 months in a sober house. I remember the feeling when he first went away. I was terrified, depressed, lonely, confused...I remember not eating for days on end. Not getting out of bed for a week. I literally felt like I couldn't function. And at that point, I didn't want to function. I wanted to just lay there until he came home. I thought that if he just stopped doing drugs and came home everything would be fine. It's so much more than that though. Once the addict stops doing drugs, the recovery is just beginning. There's a whole other side of recovery beyond putting the drugs down. There's an emotional and mental recovery that HAS to take place in order for the addict to stay clean. Putting down the drugs is just the first step. Addiction is complex and it's a very long road to recovery. But people can get there with diligence and hard work. Your girlfriend has to want this. And you have to allow her to put her recovery first. That means before you, your relationship, or anything else.

Once I started researching and reading all about addiction and recovery and codependency, I got a good understanding of what exactly was happening with him, and what was happening with me. I became stronger. Knowledge is strength when dealing with an addict. Educate yourself so you have a clearer understanding of what is happening.

Keep posting here.
Good luck
XO