Old 10-19-2002, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nybord

I guess the biggest thing I am having a problem with...is that is somehow it was diagnosed that he was an 'alcoholic', then I would be able to say that if I left him move back back after he gets out, then he has to quit drinking period and there will be no alcohol in the house...
But since he is saying and swearing that he will control it and he wants a second chance and he now realizes things he didn't before and he is insistent he has seen the error of his 'out of control' ways, it is hard for me to feel justified in saying that he can not ever have a drink again without someone giving him that diagnosis...he says I am trying to control him or keep him away from his daughter ...and that is not what I want...
I just want what is best...and I don't feel I am qualified to make that decision as to whether he can never drink again ...
Maybe my question really is this... is it reasonable to give him one last chance and allow him to move back into my house and is there a seriously possibility that he has seen the error of his foolish ways and can straighten out without giving up the alcohol completely or is it competely ridiculous to consider that he is able to control it...I don't want to turn my back on someone who I care about but I don't want to waste my time and his if he is a person who can't ever have a drink so if he refuses to give it up totally, he will continue repeating that behavior even if he doesn't mean to...

Last edited by nybord; 10-19-2002 at 07:11 AM.