View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shepherdess

Liver Disease AFTER Quitting

Hello again,

Assuming that no one is allowed to give medical advice, all standard disclaimers to that effect apply to any answers to this post.

I have often heard of people becoming ill months after quitting. It seems that what may have been dormant liver disease becomes symptomatic because the immune system, no longer compromised by alcohol, kicks into high gear, creating inflammation and other sorts of havoc.

I have also heard of people going into decompensated cirrhosis YEARS after stopping. I am guessing they started developing cirrhosis though the drinking but that it took several years to decompensate. What I do not understand about this, is that I have read all over the place that if you remove the cause of the cirrhosis (alcohol) you halt its progression. So which is the more likely scenario? I suppose it depends on your personal physiological makeup… It is a frightening prospect.

Luckily I never get WDs (from my past 72 hour “tests”) so no worries there. I am wondering about vitamin C – I have taken 1,500 mg daily for at least 15 years. Vitamin C is a major component in the manufacture of collagen. As my body enters the healing process, perhaps I should lay off the vitamin C in case it encourages TOO much collagen production therefore creating a risk of cirrhosis (if I don’t already have it).

Any thoughts?

Peace, love and sobriety,

Claire