View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

I am so sorry you experienced this vicious assault. My hope is that although it brought you to your knees last night, there is a greater purpose to what happened which you will understand in time and even be grateful for. Sometimes the most horrible events with the alcoholic turn out to be the ones we later say, "Thank God it happened." It was so for me.

Alcoholics gut people with language. Words are a switchblade. They not only gut their wives, they also gut their innocent children. When any of us naively expects an alcoholic to be a "good drunk" with a child although he or she is a "bad drunk" with us, we have lost the capacity to protect our children. Once the alcoholic is drunk, the dogs of hell are let loose. It is so very essential to deal with that reality.

If we are conscientious, the alcoholic calls us a perfectionist.
If we are protective of our children's lives, the alcoholic calls us possessive.
If we wear ourselves out working to stay afloat, the alcoholic calls us selfish.
If we are warm to others, the alcoholic calls us a flirt.
If we are sad, the alcoholic calls us a drag.
If we don't drink and drug, the alcoholic calls us boring.
If we avoid sex because emotional abuse is killing us, the alcoholic calls us frigid.
If we are not physically perfect, the alcoholic says we are repulsive.

And the alcoholic always isolates us, and when that happens, he breaks us with this language. We feel we have died. We want to die. It would be a relief.

I hope you get help today from your counselor, call your counselor, get a phone session or a private session, right away. You are so worthy of professional help to rebuild what he has so brutally broken inside you.

Even though you have the child as a continuing connection with him, there are many, many ways you can protect yourself from ever being verbally assaulted like this again. But you won't be able to put those protections in place until the day you accept the reality that he is not only untrustworthy, but dangerous. Perhaps today is that day.

You have done nothing wrong. This is not your fault. You are not to blame for this assault in any way.

Just protect yourself in every way possible, batten the hatches, board the windows. Do not let the monster in.