View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
quitforme79

Beginner's AA Meeting

So the few AA meetings I have gone to have been somewhat helpful but I felt somewhat lost because there were mostly people that had many years sober. Of course, they said great things and had inspirational stories but I felt a little out of place being the "newbie". So I found a beginner's meeting tonight, drove the 45 minutes and it was awesome. It was a small group and it allowed us to be more intimate and have more of a discussion focused around things newbie's are going through. It was perfect for me because people relayed how they are on day or 10 and really really struggling with trying to stay sober. Then there were people with 6 months that had some great advice. I am comforted tonight in the thought that I may have found my niche in this program, in a support that works for me in maintaining my sobriety. Just a great group of people really trying to keep one another sober. They asked me to go out to eat after but I just wasn't ready....so exhausted. I will go next time though All in all I was so terrified of going to AA and really was against it for a long time. It really is true what they say---you have to keep trying different ones until you find a fit. And if it's not for you that's ok too. Tonight, I am sober because of the people in that meeting. I look forward to seeing them again this week and being able to proudly say "yup, still sober"