Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by zany90 View Post

Eventually, the person LEARNS (or re-learns) that there is absolutely no point in drinking alcohol, because there is nothing in it any more - thereby leading them to complete abstinence without the craving for the euphoria or endorphins. Eliminating the mental obsession they talk about in AA.
Well, I am highly skeptical of TSM, for many reasons... And it is an opinion and I only share that because I want to be transparent regarding my own bias...

That said... Yea, that whole craving thing, it was pretty tough at first. It sucked, truly... I could deal with them, they were "tangible" and identifiable, for the most part. There are many techniques to handle them... AVRT, Prayer/AA, exercise, sugar, all that...

But what you said... the person LEARNS there is absolutely no point in drinking alcohol... LOLOLOL

That was the HARDEST thing to learn... No point in alcohol????... what about all those parties, out to dinner, watching football with the guys, new years eve... all that... There is such a HUGE social and behavioral connection to alcohol for many of us... Not to mention, for me, a deep spiritual (I am AA so hold your guns) disconnection... some call it a "hole in the soul" ... and if you have it, you know what I mean....

For me, the cravings were a temporary nuisance and a source of some discomfort that passed... The hard part was to truly LEARN, for me, that there is no point in drinking alcohol, socially, gastronomically, spiritually.... I am deeply skeptical that a pill could have done all that...