View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by justhadenough View Post

I've not looked at SMART but think I will as it does sound useful.Where would you recommend starting?

JHE
The first thing I'd recommend is to take a look at the website. Register for the online forums. Click around and see what's going on. Try an online meeting. If you're into chatrooms, check that out too (I hate chatrooms, so I can't recommend it from personal experience, but some people find the immediacy helpful.)

If you like what you see, order the SMART Recovery handbook. If you're interested in face to face meetings, see what the status of those is in your area. These days, some areas have a whole bunch of meetings while some areas have none. There are always the online meetings and forums though, even if you can't get to face to face meetings.

You mentioned the Tolle book. I haven't read that myself, but I've heard good things about it, and Alan Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit, also. You might want to check out Sober for Good by Anne Fletcher--it's not so much a "how to" book as it is a book about the various ways people recover from addictions. This book really helped me to appreciate that in the end, we do each find our own way. All recovery is personal.