View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
justhadenough

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Well, not all secular approaches are the same. The one I'm most familiar with, SMART Recovery, recognizes that while ceasing addictive behavior is a huge accomplishment, many of us, following abstinence, can benefit from learning life-balance skills. So, SMART incorporates many tools designed to help build these skills.

In my own personal situation, I found immediate benefits to simply being abstinent from alcohol. I felt better physically and emotionally simply because I wasn't poisoning myself anymore, and didn't have to deal with guilt from nightly blackouts.

But I'd been drinking for 25 years and had done some real damage to myself during that time. Basically, I had no coping skills, and I had some childhood trauma to deal with. So, although I didn't struggle horribly with abstinence per se, I certainly had work to do.

For that task, I looked to a professional who took an eclectic approach incorporating CBT principles and psychodynamic therapy. She was very creative and challenged me. I learned a lot from her. I believe the approach she used would have worked well alongside the SMART Recovery program, but at the time I was unaware that SMART even existed.

So...what sorts of things have you considered or run across that look interesting to you, or that you think might be helpful to you?
Thanks OTT,

I agree.Even though I'm only month in I feel so so much better both physically and mentally. However, I do feel slightly anxious,lacking in confidence and quite nervous about certain things.Drink would suppress these feelings and stop me worrying.

I need to accept the past and decisions I've made(especially bad ones)and stop worrying about the future and what might happen. I know it sounds basic but I'm just trying to live each day for what it is and try to be contented and happy.I don't think it is totally realistic to not think about the future at all but if I can ease the anxiety/worry it will help.

I've ordered theTolle book-The power of now. Whilst it might be too spiritual for me I'm hoping it will provide me with some new learning techniques about stopping worrying about the future.Take the bits I need and leave the rest

I've not looked at SMART but think I will as it does sound useful.Where would you recommend starting?

Thanks
JHE