View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
HeWhoSleeps

Less than a year ago my AB faked a recovery. His mother and I don't talk and he used this to his advantage. Told me his mom and discovered him stealing money from her purse to buy dope and said he had broken down and told her he needed help. Aw....right? So then she allegedly helped him go to a rehab and he checked himself in and he THOUGHT about leaving several times and almost DID once (wow, yeah that was part of the story). And finally when the In-Patient part was over he had mandatory classes everyday at a specific hour for weeks on end and now I have literally NO idea where he was or with who or where.
It was all made up.
He had a binder and loose papers and EVERYTHING. And it was all a lie.
I have been with my AB on-again-off-again since 2004 and we have had three year stretches at a time without incident. He always uses again. He's constantly in "recovery" or saying he is (aka pretending to appease).
The truth is: if you have a feeling its probably valid.
The gut is good, and it will tell you what's up, even if you don't want to hear it.
My AB and I talked about building trust a LOT. We had heart-to-hearts, couples counseling, he went to anger management classes, the whole nine yards. Now? A couple years after all of that effort? I trust him less than ever before...and I'm not even sure how you can trust someone into the negative trust category...but that's how little I trust him. And honestly? Now? I no longer think he's CAPABLE of honesty. That's what they say in NA. That the program works for most people who work it. But there are a select few sad individuals who are INCAPABLE of being HONEST with themselves (let alone others) and for them, nothing will work.
I hope this is not your guy, but it IS mine.
Trust is a fragile creature which once broken must be patiently nursed back to health in the most loving and safe of environments. I don't think you have that with this guy. I think this guy needs to work on HIMSELF first before he could EVER give you the intense amount of time and proper environment to cultivate trust between you two again. And you can't rush that.
Don't compromise yourself. Trust your instincts.
His recover is up to him. We, the friends/family/wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends/etc...we are powerless. I used to hate hearing that and now it's the only thing that soothes me.
I wish you the best of luck.
Keep posting!