View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by blueshades View Post
I wish the secular section of SR's forums were more active too. While some here have said that they are agnostic and practicing AA, I just don't think that will work for me. My story is similar to charon's in that I have been able to get an advanced degree, have a successful career, get a lot of stuff, etc. and still drink my alcohol to excess through most of it all.

Like others here, I didn't really lose anything external by being an alcoholic, but my life has become an inner hell of paranoia, anxiety, and shame. My secretive drinking has long impacted my relationships with other people, including family members and colleagues at work. I have been living a lie, and I'm sick of having this sickening feeling.

Tomorrow will be my sixth day of sobriety. I intend to stick it out. Aside from reading about alcoholism and connecting with people here on SR, I have not yet begun other efforts. I look forward to learning more from those of you have tried secular approaches to staying sober.
Congratulations on your sixth day, and thanks for your post, especially that part about the "inner hell". Yes...that's what it was like for me, too. And "living a lie", that's it exactly. For me, that was the worst part.

But doing the opposite, i.e. living a genuine life, has become something of a moral compass for me. In a way, it helps to know what living a lie feels like. Anytime I get that feeling, it's like a warning siren.

Anyway, your statement that you intend to stick it out is very telling. That's the best possible attitude to have, IMHO!