Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EternalQ

I read both and found both very helpful and still do at almost six months sober.

When I read the Allan Carr book I was sober about a month max; I obviously did not RESTART drinking. His suggestion to not quit till you finish is a technique he uses for those who are still drinking when they start reading. But the book works its magic just the same. It helped me A LOT.

RR also helps me A LOT. There are many ways addiction sneaks up on you. I found Carrs book helped squash any desire for it. As time wore on and desire returned I use RR to disengage it. The two ways are like the USA's congress and house of representatives. What gets past one technique would have to get voted in by the second one also. And I will not let that happen.

I also use concepts from other recovery methods, such as thanking GOD (the Universe, my higher self, whatever) for removing my desire to drink for the coming day, and thanking in advance for removing my shortcomings, and I name the particular ones that concern me at the time. I do this because I drank to avoid facing and changing myself, because thanking for what i want to happen in advance seems to help change me. The very act of it does.

I am happy you have found peace in your decision, and I wish you all the best.