View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

My mom didn't understand my going to meeting, either. There was a time she was horrified -"what will the neighbors think???" even though I lived 750 miles away from her. But I kept going back, and I learned that MY recovery was about ME. It wasn't about her or any of her issues. When I went to visit my mom I went to some of the local Al anon meetings in her community. She never went with me.

Many years later, my mom lived in an assisted living facility. She told me that she had become friends with one of the women who worked there. The woman began to share about her life, and her abusive alcoholic husband.

My mom actually asked her if she knew about Al Anon. She said "I don't know much about it, but I can tell you that it helped my daughter, it may even have saved her life. and I know there are meetings here in town because she's gone to them when she was visiting me."

It still makes me tear up when I think about that. My mom never went to an Al Anon meeting, yet she was able to carry the message.

Al Anon is for US - so we can learn better ways of living our lives. And perhaps we can carry the message to someone else who is struggling.