Thread: One Year!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
coffeespoons

One Year!

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while but I wanted to jump back in to say thank you for all the support you've offered during this journey. As of yesterday, I have not had a drink in 1 year. I figured I'd post this in newcomers because I want people at 1 day, 3 days, 2 weeks to see that it can be done!

A few thoughts on the first year...
1) It gets easier!!! I still have moments (usually in social situations, or when the weather is perfect 'drinking weather'), but it's become alot easier to say "I don't drink anymore".
2) Anytime I was feeling down, or confused about the idea of sobriety, I would come here and read other peoples' stories and frustrations. I haven't posted in a while, but I've certainly read this forum at least 2 to three times a month to remind myself of why I'm doing this.
3) You don't have to apologize to anyone. If your mind is made up not to drink at that wedding, that work happy hour, that social event, don't stress about what people will say. I found that after a few drinks, nobody notices. Although at first, it was great to be able to hide behind "I'm not feeling well tonight" or "I'm taking a break," but now all my friends and family know I don't drink. They don't know that I identify as an alcoholic, but they know I'm not drinking, and they don't ask why anymore.
4) I was never a daily drinker. I only drank on the weekends, and not even every weekend. I think most people that know me in person would be shocked to hear I'm an alcoholic. However, my problem was the same one that many binge drinkers have - once I started drinking, I found it impossible to stop until I blacked out. Now, sometimes I could control it. Many times even. However, I couldn't ALWAYS control it, and it became a game of russian roulette with that one time that I would go overboard and black out. I know in my heart that it's inevitable, and that's why I stopped drinking.
5) I still haven't gone to an AA meeting, mainly because I have alot of support here and at home, but I am very open to it, and I may start going to meetings in the future.

6) The best part? A WHOLE YEAR WITHOUT HANGOVERS! Best thing ever.

Thanks again for all the support, hope, and help. This community is amazing.