View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ZiggyB

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
I am what I call a half-assed Buddhist. One of the things Buddhism teaches is that everything has causes and conditions. This means when you are angry there is always a reason for being angry.

When I looked in to the causes and conditions of my anger I was surprised at what I found. I found that my wife's behavior was a condition of my anger. The cause was I had expectations that weren't being met. I expected her to behave one way and she didn't. As they say expectations are future resentments.

Once I let go of the expectations the anger faded pretty quickly. Not that I don't get flashes every now and then but now at least I know the source.

Step 1 in the program covers this pretty well. I was powerless over alcohol, her decisions to put it above us and to be honest I was powerless to control her in any way. Any control I thought I had was just an illusion. Giving up this illusion of control laid the foundation of my recovery.

I can see now that almost every time I am angry it is because I am disappointed that my expectations were not met. By doing my breathing meditation I can return to the moment and let go of my expectations for the future. It will happen exactly as it happens and all I can control is how I choose to react to it.

I hope this helps,

Your friend,
Mike,
This is great. I also have found some relief in my anger through Buddhism. Yes I am pissed off at my ex for the things he did and said to me, but there's also a way in which I have tried to be compassionate, I feel sorry for him that he has this disease. No, that doesn't mean that I want him back in my life but I am able to forgive and realize he was not the man I needed him to be, so it's better that he's gone.

Sadly anger does not really hurt the person we are angry at, as much as it hurts ourselves and destroys our peace of mind.