Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tendencies

When did you first realise you had a problem?

I've spent some time trying to remember the first time I thought.... "Hey, dude.... you've got a drinking problem." I know it's not when I finally quit drinking because I was miserable at the end of my drinking and just drank through that misery to that point.

I'm not even sure now. I don't really remember the first real evident actions and feelings that should have told me. But I know at the end I had major alarm bells going off.

The Alarm bells below are what should have told I was really in MAJOR trouble.
  1. Arguing with myself in the parking lot of the liquor store about buying more booze and losing the argument.
  2. Planning more drinking around social drinking as I could not drink ENOUGH socially as it was embarrassing. People would see how much I pounded back hard alcohol. And this is with a family of Irish hard drinkers. We encouraged drinking and I thought even my level of drinking was nuts.
  3. Having to spend my morning cleaning up cans and bottles.
  4. Hiding empties before people came over and saw just how much I was drinking.
  5. Running up my credit cards while broke for more booze I could not afford.
  6. Showing up at things, like helping my brother in law lay a floor so hung over I was almost useless.
  7. Being hungover while babysitting a friends kid.
  8. Going to more than one store to get booze so they did not think I was chronic (Fail, they did)
  9. Giving up on my appearance.
  10. Screwing up my work
  11. Drinking in the morning
  12. Hiding booze from my girlfriend
  13. Drinking her booze at her place. (how anyone manages to keep booze in a house without drinking it is beyond me.)
  14. Looking forward to when I can drink alone. Preferring that to anything else.
  15. Looking in the mirror and hating myself?
  16. I have pains in my side. Why am I still drinking?
  17. Driving drunk
  18. Not remembering going to bed every night.
  19. Waking up feeling wretched every day.
  20. Knowing I was not capable of being in a healthy relationship.
  21. Not being able to workout. I'm always hung over.
  22. Realizing I was such a mess I could not work on large projects and for the good of others I should avoid them.
  23. Getting into irrational fights with my neighbour (though he was an @ss)
  24. The last most devastating one is. "Well. I'm a drunk maybe I should just keep going." Just give up on a meaningful life with a possibility of happiness.

But I can't remember the first time it was just "drinking" to where my whole mentality changed. I suspect it started by degrees. I justified it at first. I deserve this or something. But By the end all those things were just out there. I could not deny it anymore.