Old 07-25-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ElectricLights

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
[B]ElectricLights, hon, being bipolar does not cause you to drink. He drinks because he is an alcoholic. If he takes medicine for the bipolar, it is not going to fix him. He will still be the same person, just not as moody and a little more stable. Getting a bipolar diagnosis is not a good thing.
Learn2Live, there's research showing a comorbidity between the two. In abf's case he developes manic symptoms and self medicates with alcohol. Research has also shown a higher alcoholism recovery rate among bipolar individuals who got treatment for the mood disorder over alcoholics who are not bipolar and trying to stay sober. I'm optimistic that with treatment for bipolar disorder he will have greater success with his recovery.

This AM he did go to AA. After that he asked me to bring the baby over so he could see him. He is living with his father right now, and as much as his dad cares for him, he's mostly just enabling him. He had and sign an agreement that if he drank he had to move out and now it's as if that paper doesn't exist. He sends me all kinds of emails and links to info relating just to bipolar treatment, not addressing the alcoholism at all. He tells he that we need to band together to show him the love and be supportive while he's working on getting healthy. He even wanted me and the baby to stay over tonight so abf could have "his family" with him. WTH! No. I told him point blank on Monday that I needed a break from abf. That stands even more true today. It's ridiculous how much he babysvabf, even after the countless drunk stunts he's pulled, the lying, the manipulation. Ugh.

In addition, my mom is beyond pissed at me. She basically told me that if I continue to allow abf in my life and our baby's life then she's writing us all off. My mom and I are so close so this is VERY hurtful on her part. Also, she moved with me last month to abf's home town. He promised me a lot of things to get me to move here with him, none of which have manifested. My mom came along because, again, we are very close and she wanted to be near her only child and grandchild. Well its been a huge disappointment, so she is ready to pack it up again and leave. Her apartment, wherevmyvson ans I are also living, is month to month so she could very well leave next month. This puts me into a corner because I won't have a home unless I move in with abf and his enabling father. I don't know anyone here and I don't have the resources to get an apartment on my own at this point. So I'm feeling really lost, unsure of how to proceed.