Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Welcome Electric Lights. What a great name for someone in the Arctic Tundra! I am in the sub-Arctic region of Anchorage, Alaska...no need for electric lights right now, except for my bathroom with no window. ; )

I am sorry for your situation that brought you here, but hope you find the experience, hope and strength that I have found in this place.

That said, what kind of help do you have in mind? It is beneficial to clarify how we want to "help" others during difficult times as it helps us set appropriate boundaries.

Having lots of experience with bipolar disorder with my loved ones, I do know there isn't much I can do to help during a manic period. I've actually learned that leaving them alone - detaching from their illness - is the best approach. Like yours, my loved ones are grown ups, they may not be in the right mind to make good judgement calls but they are able to make them, regardless.

Having now had the experience of alcoholism in loved ones, I realize the situations are similar in the sense that I really have no control over another person. The best thing I could do to help is back off and allow the person to make their own decisions, respect them as adults, and allow them to experience their own consequences.

There is nothing wrong with wanting and hoping this relationship will withstand these challenges, that's not weak at all. He is the father of your child, after all. What woman doesn't have the hope the man they chose to be the Father of their child will be a good one?

Just be sure to define for yourself what kind of help you intend to give him right now, and what kind of help you need for yourself as you are affected by this as well. Al-Anon is a great resource; but I don't know if you have that available to you in your community. Books are helpful. One I read and really liked was "No More Letting Go" by Debra Jay. It very much focused on keeping relationships together.

Keep posting, keep reading, and keep coming back!
~T