Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ElectricLights

Unhappy one more chance after a bipolar diagnosis?

My abf has been diagnosed as being bipolar. He wants to get help for his illness (medication and therapy) as well as take antibuse while pursuing a sober life. Previously he was sober 3 months. When he relapsed a month ago I told him if it happens again I'm done. Well, it happened again but this was prior to the bipolar diagnosis. Currently our 11 month old and I are living with my mom. My mom wants me to forget about him and move on. My father is an alcoholic and when I was my son's age my grandma told my mom to get away from my dad. She didn't listen and put up with 18 years of hell before divorcing him. I know she deeply regrets not listening to her mom. The difference here is that my bf a) has a mental illness which has gone untreated and possibly affected his alcoholism and b) he's trying to be sober. It's not ALL talk, there is some action...more talk than action but if he's willing to go on antibuse I have to believe he wants to be sober. My dad never has wanted sobriety and is still hitting the bottle. I want to stand by my bf and help him with his sobriety however I am unsure of things. I don't want to continue enabling him. I do want to be a woman of my word and if that's the case, I should move on. I do care about him deeply and want him to get well so he can be there for our little boy. Am I being weak by wanting to help him?