Old 07-21-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MemphisBlues

Reading two very interesting books: "Mad in American," and "Anatomy of an Epidemic."

Two solid pieces of medical journalism on the efficacy of antidepressants and a host of other psychiatric drugs. An eye opener for me. Mad In America is also the name of a website of like-minded physicians and medical scholars who are questioning the entire paradigm of psychiatric medication. Check it out.

I tapered over a few months from 200 mg of Zoloft to zip. Anxiety and aggravation were the prevailing symptoms. Didn't have the brain zaps.

I have been on every antidepressant known to man for 22 years. I'm still tapering a very old-school antidepressant, trimipramine, and hope to be off it in a few months.

Oh. I feel less depressed now that I am off the Zoloft. Hard to tell if it's just maturing in sobriety (two years Oct. 15) or getting off the drugs.

Tread carefully, folks, and please do a taper with the consultation of a doctor.

And I think the "insulin" analogy is a bunch of bunk uttered by physicians and shrinks that make a living on writing prescriptions for psych meds. It's a good way to ensure repeat customers. And I would have ripped someone's jugular out if they had told me that a year ago. WTF?