View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MetalChick
I looked like that holdin beer

Originally Posted by FT View Post
Hi freethinking,

What has kept me solidly not drinking for over 20 years, and now almost 10 months drug free is the firm resolve to "reinvent" myself as a nondrinker and now a non-opiate-user.

It is very easy for me to field any issue that used to cause me to substance abuse. I simply ask myself (if I need to, which I rarely do anymore), "What would a non-drinker (or non-opiate user) do?" And then I do that thing. Kinda like "What would Jesus do" for religious folks. Ha!

I've been reading the AVRT thread for just a short while recently, and I like what it has to say. However, I've never felt the need for a more "formalized" approach, as non-formal as AVRT actually is. I don't even need it to be THAT formal.

I reject the idea of "powerlessness", which I avoid discussing most of the time to avoid an argument. But, my personal EMPOWERMENT is what allows me to remain strong in my recovery. I given that over to no one.

FT
I really love what you said about re- inventing yourself as a non-drinker. I relate to that, I just didn't know how to word it. I also like what you said about not being powerless. it is important to me to be powerful against this addiction. Powerful enough to kick its ass. If I were to say I was powerless, it would be a lot harder for me to stay sober. Feeling and knowing I am powerful keeps me going in sobriety. Great post