View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thanks for a thoughtful response, Gerand.

I've just returned from a welcomed night out with my wife and 17 yr old step-son. We enjoyed a hearty 16oz sirloin steak dinner, my wife a smaller cut. A great steak house old fashioned tavern like atmosphere, with all wood paneling, old english table n' chairs, dimmed lights, table candles, white-shirted waiters. Plenty of laughter and smiles all around. Coconut cream pie with drizzled caramel and coffee for dessert. Ice tea and lemonade. Sweeet!

I've been thinking about our discussion, and I'm thankful for our continuance.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Are you saying a Big Plan is nothing more than some collection of organised thoughts?
Originally Posted by GerandTwine
Yes. If you understand this, then we're on the same page about the Big Plan.
I do understand it. Not to say I agree, but we now have some common ground. Cool.

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot
Well, the first act required to really quit would be in creating a Big Plan. This creation must originate before AVRT can be effective.
Originally Posted by GerandTwine
Yes, but. I have been thinking recently that if AVRT is practiced perfectly in all regards except without a Big Plan in place, a person could remain abstinent indefinitely on their own.

I would have no interest in doing that, though. I rely on my Big Plan and don't worry about objectively separating from my AV perfectly at all times.

I simply use the Big Plan to arrest the desire instead of the more deliberate process of identifying an entity other than me, in opposition to me, and within me.

Robby, you and I both quit decades ago. Until I started posting on SR, I found that the ironclad technique of both "objectively separating from IT" and also recalling my Big Plan had sort of rusted together in a unified clump of "I never drink."

It's been so long, I cannot even remember the pleasure caused by drinking alcohol or smoking pot, so my AV has been relegated to acting as a rhetorical devils advocate.

AVRT is still not difficult at all, but The Big Plan is what I really love. I do recognize how not remembering what the pleasure is like could be a Beast tactic to try to hit me broadside. No way. I think that could be why Dalek smoked ciggies again a few months ago.

If I had not joined SR six months ago to help addicted people understand AVRT and self-recovery, I would probably not have thought or dwelt upon drinking/toking for more than a few minutes total over these six months.

Instead, I've spent many hours thinking about it in writing posts here. I also made a Big Plan for sweets last month, but I'm not sure whether being a member of SR made a difference in my doing that. In any case I'm enjoying posting on SR.
There is much here for me to consider, thanks for that. I will say though now, without a Big Plan securely and unconditionally in place prior, AVRT cannot be practiced usefully because conditions would instantly exist which would serve up to the Beast an impunity against being recognised and seperated from AV thoughts, feelings, and actions. Without seperation, AV is not AV, and so the Beast wins the day, and eventually the desired reward is at least on the table for the taking. Not good, yeah?