View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SundaysChild

There was another thread that mentioned Vivitrol being given as a standard part of detox, and I expressed my concerns about it being given routinely without tools and an addict's commitment to recovery. My recent experience has reinforced my concerns.

This is just anecdotal, but It may be helpful to someone.

After my son's relapse, and decision to commit to recovery again, he decided he wanted to try Vivitrol. His doctor first put him on a trial of oral naltrexone. The first two days he started on it, his behavior was very "addict-like"-- becoming defensive, attacking, hair trigger temper, etc. I didn't really pay attention to it, as he was only two weeks clean at that point. The same thing happened about 24 hours after his first shot - he was extremely edgy and irritable. That passed.

He had his second shot on Tuesday. Yesterday he called me for a favor and when I wouldn't "jump" to do what he wanted instantly, he flipped on me. I went to bed last night thinking he was close to relapse again, as I was definitely talking to the addict, not T.

He called this morning in a healthy frame of mind, and apologized. He said he'd felt like he was "slipping" all day yesterday- he was much more sensitive to triggers, anxiety, and feelings of being overwhelmed. (So, yes, I was definitely talking to the "addict") He said that his psychiatrist told him that these were side-effects of the shot, and that he needs to be extra aware of it during the day or two following the injection.

The good news is, that although he definitely treated me like his verbal punching bag yesterday, he got together with his sponsor and went to a meeting, and the feelings have passed.

So, this is not a "magic drug" that will cure addiction. It's a tool, that if used correctly under medical supervision, as part of a program of recovery, can help...but it may be dangerous if it's given without careful thought and consideration.

Just my opinion-- take what you like, etc...