View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to the forum, Chris, and thanks for engaging the gauntlet. I hope you will accept my comments in the spirit I intend.
Originally Posted by chrisepic View Post
I think "one day at a time" is being taken out of context. It has nothing to do with subliminally or subconsciously setting yourself up for relapse "one day, just not today." Its a practice of doing what addicts and alcoholics find impossible to do while they use: remain in the moment. We hold on to the past or gaze out into tomorrow completely missing today- you know, where reality is. We usually drink or drug today away, and we usually do it because of past hurts or future worries.
I see truth in this, Chris, that not using today is making that choice to stay present, achieving a sober state for the present moment. I agree with that. But it is also a refusal to make that forever statement. There is an unwillingness or inability to make that stand, once and for all. So, in that sense, it is acceptance of drinking at some time in the future.

The "beast" is your limbic region of the brain. The limbic region is the "caveman" part of your brain, the pleasure center. Its a completely different part of the brain than your logic center. Your limbic region could not care less if you say you wont drink today or wont drink ever.
You get the RR structural model of addiction just fine, the idea that leads so well to the concept of separation from the AV. It is part of me, but it is not me. But the beast is terrified of the idea of never drinking again, or never drinking in the present moment, because that will be the end of its delicious buzz. It screams loudly and otherwise just gets grumpy. It is this beast behaviour, following from the Big Plan to never drink again, that allows the beast to be identified and exposed.

Its one of the main reasons why addiction is a chronic illness that can wipe you out when you least expect it.
It is the ability to recognize the beast that robs it of its power. AVRT makes it impossible for that beast to sneak up on you and convince you to make a mess once again. With this in mind, addiction does not need to be accepted as chronic, and it isn't an illness.