Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
...how about this for a topic: The popularization of the term "AV." It seems to be a lot more common on the newcomers threads. Often it seems people know little about AVRT; some are even active in AA or another recovery paradigm.

So—what do you guys make of that? On the one hand, I agree AVRT is incompatible with many other programs. But viewing the desire as originating from my addiction, not me, and thereby detaching from it, was incredibly helpful to me before I had heard about AVRT and the Big Plan.
I'm beginning to believe (that Neo is The One, no, just kidding). I'm beginning to believe that AVRT can be introduced into other recovery modalities with positive results. Even with incorrect understandings about AVRT, I think people begin to realize that they don't need to be in the recovery group movement in order to stay stopped. Some AV awareness will allow them to go longer without meetings. Once that process begins, I think may people will find that desireable - more free time, more personal responsibility, and they will ultimately out-grow that dependence on meetings. It's kind of like a reverse Gresham's Law of recovery programming.

Then they can learn AVRT properly and REALLY put the problem behind them.