SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Atheist/Non-Believers second class recovers?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
" you don't have to believe (accept) what somebody else says, .....just accept that they believe it.
I like the quote. People with ridged thinking can be found everywhere.

I went out with several people after an AA meeting one night. I made the comment that I like it when other people disagree with me. They looked at me like I had three heads. I explained that different perspectives sometimes change my view of reality. I will adopt other perspectives, (in whole or it part) if I believe they are more accurate, that is, more in keeping with reality. I try not to be too attached to ideas. Perhaps some of what I said registered with them, I don’t know.

I think it’s unfortunate that the language we use often includes phrases like “he’s right”. A person IS not right. “Being right” is not a quality of a person’s being (does that make sense?). A "view" of something may be more accurate than another "view" but it is not a quality of being…. it’s just an idea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to awuh1 For This Useful Post:
californiapoppy (07-31-2012), RobbyRobot (07-17-2012), soberlicious (07-17-2012), topspin (07-17-2012)