Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

James,

I just saw this thread. I have never been on zoloft, but have been on other meds in that "family" and have had to quit them, withdrawals from hell.

they are not "addictive" but that doesn't mean our bodies don't get dependent on them to a degree. Going cold turkey is rough rough stuff. Back when I was taking and quitting them, there wasn't much experience or info on withdrawal and the docs said I was silly...but I met reams of folks online who knew what I'd been through. Now the docs seem to pay more attention.

Many meds should not be stopped cold turkey, and even if your doc has not taken the med herself, she may well have experience with others who have and their withdrawal stories. She could still be an excellent resource for information. Plus your sharing your experience helps her help the next person.

Those drugs do a number on the sex life, no doubt. Ugh. glad that is over.

google and see if you can find out what the "half life" of this med is. That has an effect on how long the withdrawals are likely to last.

With prozac, the half life was long, so I didn't get a reaction as soon as I missed a dose, but when stopping, the withdrawals took a LONG time.

Paxil, I'd get sick within 8 hours of a missed dose and the withdrawals were hell, but lasted only a fraction of the time the prozac one's did.

good thing was, once the bad was over, it was over. and I never ever craved the meds again.