Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Dalek

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I don't believe that any method of dealing with addiction has the "final and only word" on how things work. I believe AVRT is a reasonable method to deal with addiction for me, but I don't believe in dogma -- and blanket statements (though I admit to sometimes making them - lol).
It would be ridiculous to say that AVRT it is the only way to recover from an addiction, since people have been doing it since before AVRT was ever set forth. Even RR acknowledges that people quit without using anything at all, including AVRT. However, AVRT is essentially a closed system which operates on the certainty principle, whereas most other addiction recovery models operate on the uncertainty principle.

In other words, most addiction recovery models say that you need to do "X, Y, and Z" in order to abstain. Problem is, AVRT will identify the idea that any special condition is necessary for abstaining (the X,Y,Z), including working other programs, as Addictive Voice. Even the idea that you need to continually practice AVRT in order to abstain is AV. Consequently, AVRT simply does not mix well with other addiction recovery models.

From the crash course on AVRT -- (flashcard 28):

AVRT® does not mix with any other avenue to addiction recovery.