View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SundaysChild

My son is on Vivitrol - he decided to try it after his last relapse. So far so good- he is scheduled for his second shot next Tuesday.

I was really worried because of the risk of death if an addict tries to get high while on it, because they need to take so much to get high, as well as the risk of overdose/death after stopping it because it makes you more sensitive to opiates for some period of time after it...but he and his doctor decided it was right for him and I kept my mouth shut.

He's had a number of very stressful incidents during the past month, that could have been triggers- interpersonal problems with one roommate, another roommate failing to pay his share of the rent and exhibiting behavior that looks like he's using again, getting his hours cut way back at work, and the other stresses of daily living that addicts in early recovery have a tough time dealing with...but has stayed clean.

His doctor had wanted him to go to an IOP as well, but he refused, saying he'd had enough "groups" to last a lifetime. After a week or so on the Vivitrol he resumed doing step work with his sponsor, and regularly attending AA meetings. This week he's spending 5 days at the residential treatment program he attended when he was 16 - sharing his ESH with current residents.

While it is way to soon for me to stop waiting for the other shoe to fall, it does look like the Vivitrol may be the "edge" he needs.