View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mm417

New comer needs HELP!!!

Hi all,

Kind of a new comer here - been looking, reading and gaining alot of insight for a few weeks on SR.

My issue: I am in love with a wonderful, accomplished man who is in recovery. He is an alcoholic/addict. I have never seen him drunk or under the influence of any drug. We started this relationship about the time he decided to get sober and have been trying to hang on to each other for dear life for seven months now. He is recently divorced and going through so many things including being diagnosed as bipolar, possibly add, having sexual addiciton....the list seems to grow daily. His therapist believes that he has replaced his drug/alcohol addiction with me and that broke my heart to hear. Am I being selfish? Stupid? Not understanding and supportive? He says I battle him on everything he tries to do - note: he has been sober since day one and says I help him a great deal with staying that way. But he nows believes he is not capable of a relationship or that he is in it for the wrong reason. We get along so well most of the time until he meets with SAA or his therapist, then I become the anti-HIM....which is so not the way I feel. I support everything he does and we have decided to try to just be friends for now (although we get lonely and need each other sometimes). I love him very much and I want very badly for him to get better and be healthy but I'm afraid of losing such a special, wonderful relationship - he is my best friend

Any advice? Help!!!