View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
imaquitter

"My mind has a hard time with absolute concepts such as 'never', and 'always'. To me any statements that use words like these are set-ups for failure."

I can't understand why people have a problem with the word NEVER. To me it just makes sense. Time isn't going to change the fact that I can't be a responsible moderate drinker and stay in control and have a good time while enjoying a couple drinks with friends. If you could have 2 or 3 drinks and have fun and go on your way with no ordeal then you probably wouldn't be here in the first place.

To me it's like the decision NOT to flirt with a cute 16 year old girl you see in the store, you don't do it because you KNOW the consequences of that action especially if she was receptive and tells when and where you can hook up like the alcohol always does. When you drink that first drink you KNOW what's gonna happen. I've had a problem wrapping my head around the moral part of AVRT but when I think of it like that it really works. I can look but I can't touch and the first drink always leads to misery. It might not be illegal but it's still morally wrong to myself and everybody in my life that has watched and listened to the excuses for my avoiding them in one way or another for literally years.

IMO if you can't say NEVER then I wonder how you've managed to stay out of prison all this time. Sooner or later something would have to happen. How do you stop yourself from stealing jewelry or taking that test driven Camry straight to your garage?