Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Thelma View Post
Book a room with two beds or two rooms connecting. At least with two rooms you wont have to sleep with him. Plan out your days maybe with the other ladies and only get together with him for meals, etc. Is any of this an option?
I can't book my own room as this is a planned event with his company, they only have a certain number of rooms set aside for us. They stay at Ritz Carlton's which are VERY pricey and I couldn't afford a room to myself. I would have to do dinners with the company president and his wife, I'd have to attend the final awards banquet on the last night, etc. Really, for the most part AH and I probably spend about 80% of our time together when on the trip and some trips in the past have been awful. Last year I was in tears having long drawn out conversations about our marriage and crap from the past and I really didn't have a great time. The setting was beautiful but it was hard to enjoy it while with him. He doesn't like to do much except play tennis so I would go for walks alone, I'd sit by the pool alone or with other groups of work people, etc.

I remember the trip 3 years ago when I swore I wouldn't go with him. He was being AWFUL and so depressed and angry in the months leading up to the trip. My mother comes to stay with my son and she flies in from the east coast. My AH made a huge deal about how my mom didn't want to drive us to the airport because she was uncomfortable in a new city and how she would like us to drive ourselves or find a ride. My AH ranted and raved about my mother and how much of a pain in the *ss she was being because she wouldn't suck it up and drive us since the airport isn't that big of a deal, etc, etc. My mom was taking time away from her own life to come out and help us and his ingratitude was just about the breaking point for me. Anyway, my mom told me that year that she was extremely uncomfortable around AH and that she felt he was seething with anger(this was before he started drinking again, too). Once we were on the trip, though, he mellowed out and we had a good time. I think we went to St Thomas that year. Anyway, I just never know how he's going to be. Some years he's sweet as pie, others he's mean and downright no fun at all. He is usually stressed out about spending time around company big whigs and making sure he doesn't say something out of turn, etc. I mean, as nice as these trips are, many of the wives say their husbands don't enjoy them because they know that the company brass is sitting by the pool right next to them, etc.