Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrLofg0029

There certainly seems to be a lot of vitriole and malevolence toward alcoholics. It think that, as a RA, that I find it bothersome because my pride and self-esteem are impacted by the suggestion that I'm inherently a malicious person.

That's my baggage though.

Speaking from my own experience, the personality/attitude distribution in the recovering community is reflected in the general population.

I struggle with being either selfishly and/or benevolently manipulative. In almost every case this is because a person or thing affects my self-esteem, financial or emotional security, pride, relationship security, or physical or emotional well-being. My default responses are ones that are selfish, fearful, inconsiderate, or dishonest.

When I was still in active addiction and my self-will, expectations, or will/ability to drink were externally affected, I responded badly our of fear. I lived in fear and my only to escape it was through manipulation or control. Thus, I did and said what I had to in order to feel comfortable and safe again.

My current GF (former fiance) witnessed the worst of my alcoholism and bore the brunt of things, simply because she was there. I have no recollection of verbally (and certainly never physically) abusing her, but it did happen on a few occasions during blackouts.

In sobriety, she shared her experiences of the verbal abuse I directed at her. I have no idea whether my words were earnest at the time, and I suspect they were attempts to prevent her from affecting my drinking. However, I hearing of her experiences sober broke my heart and caused me to feel immense shame and regret! I even protested at first, responding "I would've never said that you! It never got that bad . . . did it?". She assures me it did.

My actions in active addiction betray my morals, standards, and values. I reflect on them as if it were a time when I was spiritually possessed i.e. I had lost control of my actions.

So, do the words of active alcoholics/addicts reflect true feelings? In my experience, no they don't. I cannot say whether that is universally the case.