Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lisasneeze

Lara, first of all I am truly sorry for what you are going through. recovery is a tricky process. I have a good friend whom on a normal basis now in my life I would not associate with but we have been friends for decades. he is a former alcoholic and cocaine user. I walked away from him many years ago when he was bad addicted and drunk. he has been completely sober from EVERYTHING for almost 20 years but his recovery was not pretty. he was extremely nasty to me during his recovery and we did not speak for two years during it.

Relationships are hard to endure if one is truly trying to recover. they must put their recovery on priority and relationships can hinder that and cloud that. Any stress might induce the need to use. I do wish you and him luck but unfortunately this is one of the many reasons I cannot deal with addicts. They must be the center of the universe because they cannot cope and deal with life and feelings and those that support them suffer greatly. I would not pressure him, i would give him his space, it might be the best thing for you especially if he is just going to relapse. remember as said before addicts cannot cope with the real world and people often become objects to them unfortunately most everything is about them, sad but true, so don't lose yourself!