View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Update...

Well, where there was carpet in my master bath, there now is a vinyl plank floor.

It didn't take long - I am sure the dining room will take longer - and for the most part it was easy! Once I got the hang of how its installed, that is. I'll post pictures later this evening...have to go drive kids around shortly.

Which brings me to my lessons learned so far:

1. I can do this! I rock!
2. A good pair of industrial scissors would go a long way with this stuff...
3. Call first before driving 20 miles for something they didn't have in stock today
4. send you kids elsewhere, and put the dogs in the backyard/kennel. It is inevitable that as soon as you hit your pace, someone/thing gets totally annoying.
5. No matter how thick your work gloves are, carpet strips - that darn strip of little dinosaur sharp nails to hold the edge of carpet down - will cut you. It will burn for a few days every time your hands get wet. But it passes, if the cuts don't get infected! Antiseptic is our friend.
6. Keep ibuprofen handy. Wear knee pads. Even then, keep ibuprofen handy.
7. Cove moulding and quarter-round can cover a lot of mis-cuts!
7. Confidence goes a long way! Whenever I got frustrated, I would stop and tell myself I can do this and to stop fussing.

Onto the dining room - more to come...

Thanks all for your support!

P.S. I decided halfway through this job that I am not quitting my day job for this job. Ever.