View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DoubtfulDebs

Wink

i just want to bump/repost this, before i check out - for me as much as for anyone else!

and if TU/AVRT is reading this, thanks so much for your insights, and wishing you good things!

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Remember the definition of the Addictive Voice: "Any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports, or even suggests, the remote possibility that you might drink or use -- ever."

I really don't care if you count the days, to be honest, but here are some questions to give you a moving target:
  1. Does "seven more days of success" suggest that you haven't already succeeded?
  2. If indeed you aren't going to drink again, haven't you already succeeded, in perpetuity?
  3. Is your Big Plan something that is yet to be proven?
  4. Do you need to build up your confidence in order to believe that you are recovered?
  5. Is there any doubt, and if there is, does it fit the bill for AV?

Just some things to ponder.

If it makes you feel any better, though, though, AVRT is a seed idea that grows upon itself. The fact that you are noticing the AV in your own posts, and that you posted on this forum as opposed your normal daily support thread, indicates to me that the seed is already germinating.

Recovery forums are a veritable gold mine of AV, so if you want to accelerate your learning and sharpen your AV recognition skills, try filtering people's posts through the definition of the addictive voice. I get more practice on here in an hour than I would in a month otherwise.

Don't start quoting people's posts and highlighting the AV, since that will just annoy people who aren't familiar with AVRT, but do it as you read, mentally highlighting the AV embedded in the text.