View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mum22cuties

How should I have responded?

First of all let me start off by saying my ah has a hard time facing the consequences of his actions. I always get these remarks "How nobody cares about him." or "How if it was his brother, they would do it for him.", etc. Our conversation started out civil but ended up with him getting really mad. He got a dui about a year and half ago and is still paying on his fines. Went something like this,

him- "I don't have the money to pay on my fines this week. It will have to wait until next."

me- "Well why not? You worked all week right?"

him- "Yes"

me- " I don't understand why you don't have the money then."

him- " I blew it that is why I don't have it, but what do you care anyways."

me- "yes you are right I don't care if you pay your fine or not. I did not get the dui, so why should I?"

My comment made him really mad which was not my intention. I don't think I expressed myself the best way as I was trying to say that although I do care about him, I am not responsible for his mess and I am not going to clean it up- that is his responsibility. What is the best way to answer as I honestly feel like most times he is just trying to bait me for a response or he was hoping I might offer to pay them (which I will not do). I got the "you don't care comment" again the next day and ignored it (no response).