SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - AW Still drinking on Antabuse
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MrScooter

AW Still drinking on Antabuse

My AW has been hospitalized twice within the past year for Alcoholic Hepatitis and was prescribed Antabuse (250 mg) once a day. After the first week on Antabuse, I discovered a glass that still contained some vodka in it. I knew at some point she would "test" it and when I asked her about it, she said she got very sick and vowed never to do that again. That was a couple of months ago. This past week, I discovered that she was drinking again. I am not sure how much she was able to drink, but I found a fifth of vodka she was hiding and 3/4 of it was gone. That could have been over a couple of days, but it seems she has been able to drink without a large consequence. I administer her medication every day so I know that she is still taking it. I noticed her face was flushed but that seemed to be the only symptom. I guess my first question is whether or not 250mg per day is enough? Has anyone seen cases where 250mg is simply not a large enough dose to deter drinking?