View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grayscale
Contestant

Thanks for your responses, guys. I suppose it's like any sort of dependency.

If I'm dependent on caffeine, for example, I need caffeine to wake me up and keep me up, and if I don't have it, I would have lows. And with those lows come the side effects like irritability, headaches, etc. And the only way to get out of the low, is to have more caffeine.

Alcohol is analogous, in that we use it to escape a low, then fall into a low once it's gone.

However, in both cases, I think it's observable, (and CaiHong, you expressed this,) that without the substance, the highs and lows are less extreme.

Scolova: I drink alone. I'm not the most sociable person on the planet, and curiously, when I do go out to be social, I tend not to drink very much, if at all, because I don't want to contribute to drunk driving statistics. Some people argue that it's worse to drink alone, but I'm not sure. I suppose if you're doing it to hide your problem, that's one thing. But I spend a lot of time alone anyway, so I would be doing *something* alone, including drinking. Eh, maybe I'm just deluding myself. Anyway, I made it to midnight, so I'm starting day 5 without alcohol.

Thanks folks!