Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Dalek

RE: Refutations

Originally Posted by IAmAbstinent View Post
I lost the page now but I was just reading a part on beast refutations- that inst what it was called in the book but where Trimpey gives a list of beast excuses then refutes them.
This is in Chapter 8 of RR:TNC, on pages 102-106. If you go back and re-read it, you'll notice that Trimpey lists various common (false) reasons addicted people give for getting high, then the real reason, and finally, his summary of the situation. You are mistaking his summaries with a need to refute the addictive voice, but there is no need to do so, because we know that regardless of what the AV says, the Beast just wants that buzz.

In his summaries, Trimpey is not saying "one chooses to use because of...", which would be yet another excuse, he is saying "one chooses to use instead of..." He knows that people get drunk or high because they want to feel that buzz, and rocket themselves to cloud 9, 12, 17, or as high as their budget allows. Here is his first example, with my explanation in parentheses.

Originally Posted by Rational Recovery: The New Cure, Pg. 103

"TO RELAX AFTER A HARD DAY" (The reason given to others for getting high)

After a hard day, I want to feel the pleasure of getting high. (The real reason, what the Beast is actually thinking)

Instead of naturally relaxing, one chooses the pleasure of drinking or using and then reports that one can't relax without the drug. (His summary)
To help you flush out the AV, I'll go through your list and pose a question that will spell out the possible built-in excuse for future drug use implicit in your refutations [red, in brackets]. Remember, the definition of the Addictive Voice is "any thinking that supports or even suggests the possible future use of alcohol and other drugs."

Originally Posted by IAmAbstinent View Post
Here's what I've come up with:

I chose to use because... Refutation

1. There was nothing else to do|||||| I chose to use rather than making the effort to find constructive and healthy enjoyment in life

[If you don't find constructive and healthy enjoyment in life, will you get high?]

2. ...of stress|||||| I chose to use because I did not want to make the effort to find proven and effective stress reduction techniques

[If you don't find proven and effective stress reduction techniques, will you get high?]

3. of depression||||||I chose to use because I did not want to make the effort to build a fulfilling lifestyle

[If you don't build a fulfilling lifestyle, will you get high?]

4. I wanted confidence||||I to use rather than learning lasting confidence strategies

[If you don't learn lasting confidence strategies, will you get high?]

5. Other people have their vices so its only fair I have mine||||I chose to use rather than making the effort to find constructive and healthy enjoyment in life

[If you don't find constructive and healthy enjoyment in life, will you get high?]
On the subject of refutations of the AV in general, we don't have a need to do such things with AVRT, because the Big Plan is the ultimate refutation or rejection of the AV. With a Big Plan in place, the subject of getting high is no longer up for discussion. Think about it. If you're not going to get high again, what is there to discuss or refute?

Originally Posted by Rational Recovery, The New Cure, Pg. 39
The "R" in AVRT stands for recognition—not "removal," "refutation," or "reasoning with." Just recognize your Beast's feelings and thinking, and they will fall silent. It is only when you engage in dialogue with the AV, or attempt to reason or argue with it, that you will have "white knuckles."