View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lizatola

So, I'm reading this book today called, "The Dance of Anger", by Harriet Lerner and came across this:
"Fighting and blaming is sometimes a way both to protest and to protect the status quo when we are not quite ready to make a move in one direction or another."

Oh, why didn't read that BEFORE I blew up this AM, LOL? Well, I'll be darned but that quote sums up ME and how I'm handling things. I bought the book yesterday for my Ipad and I think I'm still in the first chapter and there's so much insight that I think this is a MUST read book for anyone dealing with resentment in a marriage.

Here's another quote from the first chapter: "If feeling angry signals a problem, venting anger does not solve it. Venting anger may serve to maintain, and even rigidify, the old rules and patterns in a relationship, thus ensuring that change does not occur. When emotional intensity is high, many of us engage in nonproductive efforts to change the other person, and in so doing, fail to exercise, our power to clarify and change ourselves."

Definitely looking forward to reading this WHOLE book!