View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kiana

It's good to come to the point of realization that our words means nothing to them and fall on totally deaf ears. They already know very well the truth of what's going on and what's coming down the pike, but like so many of us, I believe that they also try to dodge it as long as possible because it means change from the routine that's become so comfortable.

I do hope that you utilize every means to protect yourself from liability for his actions. I have a dear friend that's quadriplegic at age 21 due to a drunken driver, and my own 12 yo child was in a vehicle that was hit by a drunk driver and my child had to have months of physical therapy for the injuries, and my A sis took out several vehicles plus some in a high drunk driving accident before her eventual arrest later on for dui. One moment life is passable for all involved, and the next moment it can be turned upside down or ended by a drunk that's driving. We might think it won't happen, but it does, and time is of the essence. We can't protect the A from the repercussions of their actions but we can protect ourselves and our kids as much as possible.

It was a different type of abusive situation but I left several times before it stuck. Giving up the very nice lifestyle, the "security", the status, the common friends, the routine, and the fantasy dream and starting anew can be very hard. When the moment came that I couldn't deny the truth any longer I recall going outside and literally wailing to the sky from my soul in overwhelming grief. That grief passes, as does the fear as we become stronger each day and begin to find ourselves again.