View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by albionel View Post
My brother was hospitalized due to having three seizures, and nearly dying due to his alcoholism. That was three weeks ago. I was with my brother and my parents last night where they were discussing a job opportunity they thought would be really good for him, being a bartender. My parents were also drinking scotch in front of him. I just dont know if this is normal or healthy. I find it odd that my parents are encouraging him to work as a bartender, considering everything that has happened and he has received no treatment. Is any of this healthy?
Perhaps your parents have a different idea of what is and isn't alcoholism. You say your brother was hospitalized due to his 'alcoholism'... if this is a medical opinion offered by the doctors, then your parents are clearly out of touch with how to support your brother, and you, for that matter, since you sound really concerned.

Families having alcoholic challenges are usually dysfunctional, and it looks like there are some real mis-communications going on about what is what with drinking, if they are discussing this with a scotch in their hands.

Normal and healthy?

No, I don't think so, and apparently neither do you. I hope you, your brother, and your parents can come to more positive collective agreements on how best to support each other through the seriousness of your brother having seizures, which are apparently, alcoholic.

There is plenty of information and support on SR. Good to know your reaching out for better answers for your brother.