Thread: Black outs
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by Peter G
Take all of my truth, lies, manias, phobias, anxieties, fears, hates, loves, desires, goals, hell take anything you can think of. Now throw it in a blender full of Vodka. Run it for 60 seconds and then pour a glass.

What pours out is exactly what you get from a drunk when he/she is attempting communication. It is nothing but pure myth that a drunk "speaks the truth" when intoxicated. Absolutely, 100% a wives tale, nothing more.

Pretty much the same applies to blackouts, me thinks.
In my experience, this sounds pretty darned accurate & what a tangible way to describe it!

My experiences with blackouts extends to 2 people in my life, my AH & one of my best friends. She, unfortunately, is a binge drinker who typically drinks to blackouts every time she drinks until it starts to scare her & then she dries out long enough to believe she has more control than she really does. Then the cycle starts all over again.

AH in a blackout was venomous to me, my friend was more of a cry-on-my-shoulder about all the things that are going wrong in her life so the tone is totally different but the message is the same. They might speak *some* truths in that state of mind, but it's just bits & pieces of their skewed version of truth at that moment.... never the reality. In my opinion, alcohol exaggerates emotions so if in a blackout he was feeling judged or guilty it was expressed with pure rage. If she was feeling lost or having problems in her marriage, she was a weeping, inconsolable mess. Neither of them ever made any real sense, it was like trying to read a sentence with all vowels & no consonants.