View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I think this may be a personality thing rather than any sort of deep issue about a person's recovery.

That may be because I was raised in a faith that was a "devil may be waitin' round the corner" sort of thing, and the idea seemed to be more on outsmarting the tricky devil, than on living a life free of fear because we had faith in something greater.

I don't wear a watch. I don't have a calendar on my wall. That is the way I am, so it's no shocker that I don't count days. I don't count days in anything!

People ask me how old I am and I have to ask them to help me with the math...I know about how old I am, a range of three years or so, but whether it's 44 or 47...I have to start doing calculations.

Some people are watch/calendar/time conscious people in all areas of life (I bet they balance their checkbooks too, lol) and counting days just feels right to them.

I am not well acquainted with the "beast" that is the manifestation of some people's addiction, but like anything I wonder if the day counting (or not counting) needs to be looked at in context. Is the beast growling about how long it's been since you let yourself have some fun, and how many more days of existence you will deny yourself? or is it just your perfectly healthy mind says "hellz yeah!"