View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hector
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Well, jalacola, here's a few things that might help.
He can have more than one sponsor. Some people, especially newcomers, have several.
He will hardly ever hear anyone volunteer to sponsor. It usually doesn't work that way.
He needs to read the Big Book, titled Alcoholics Anonymous, available at most meetings. There's a soft-cover version with a plain dark-blue cover with the title embossed rather than printed. You can't tell what the title is unless you look closely, so it's great to keep handy at work.
You didn't mention if you're in Al-Anon. If not, please give it a try.
Get the AA pamphlet, Sponsorship Questions and Answers. It'll help you both.

The best way for him to get a sponsor is to ask someone after the meeting, "Will you be my sponsor?" A sponsor is someone who is farther along in the program than he is, someone he's comfortable with and can talk to. As you've found out, some sponsors aren't much help. Dropping a sponsor is as easy as getting one, just don't call him anymore.
Most importantly, it's an honor to be asked to be a sponsor. If the member being asked doesn't think so, he's probably no good as a sponsor. The current one seems to think he's being imposed on. I think your husband should dump him. Quick.
But the first rule of mountain climbing applies: Don't let go of what you're hanging on to until you've got ahold of something else.
Take what you like of all this and leave the rest.
Remember, I'm pulling for you both. We're all in this together.