Thread: Codie trolling
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SadHeart

Akrasia, I understand what you are saying.

We deal with the alcoholics/addicts every day, we can't avoid them. Even if we errect strong boundaries or no contacts with the alcoholics in our lives: our spouses, friends, parents or children, we still can't escape anywhere. They are at work, our bosses, clients, colleagues making our jobs harder; our neighbors, who have screaming fits we have to hear or who bang on our doors at 6 am to ask if we've seen their car; the guy on the street who follows us across the parking lot aggressively spilling his verbal alcoholic filth on us; the drunk driver to rear ends us--or worse; the drunken idiot in the theater seat behind us.

It would be lovely, LOVELY, to have one place in the world where alcoholics or addicts are banned. And you'd think Al-anon would be that place. But apparently it's not.

I understand that many, many people with addiction problems come from families or attract alcoholics into their lives and have codenpendency problems. The benefit from the site just as much as those of us who have never been substance abusers. I'll be the first to say that many of the long-term RA's who post here have wonderful advice and insight. I actually have favorites among them I always make a point of reading, I learn from them.

But I understand what you mean about the newly recovered/sober or the ones who don't really have a handle on it. There's a certain self absorption, pushiness, and neediness in those people that are detrimental to wobbly recovering codies. And they often try to shame or control or stomp on codie discussions that center on NORMAL feelings never-abusing codies have towards their substance abusers like disgust, blame, contempt, or anger and self-pity. They try to get the support from codies still wobbly in their recovery that they longed for in their recoveries, sometimes suggesting accepting unacceptable alcoholic behavior.

It's easy to avoid their threads, but they will come on to your threads and derail it. And codies get intimidated or overwhelmed by the alkie who really doesn't have a handle on the concepts being discussed. It's part of the codie problem to 'give in' to the alkie and make nice-nice with them. Alkies know exactly how to manipulate and push codie buttons, and the newer or recovery-uncertain ones do it here all the time.

The problem is, I don't think anything can be done about it. It would require someone monitoring all the posts, before they post, and most people don't have that time.

So even though I don't think anything can really be done about it, I understand what you mean and don't think there's anything wrong in your observation or your desire for some place that is alcoholic free.