Thread: Codie trolling
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
akrasia

Codie trolling

With respect, can I share something difficult, because this happens so often:

I don't think it's right that active alcoholics or newly-recovered alcoholics go out of their way to target this particular community of people (family and friends) and demand insight/sympathy/assistance. I'm not casting asparagus at anyone in particular, but pointing out a trend that's caused me to pull away from the site in the last few weeks.

To be clear, I'm not talking about people dealing with alcoholic loved ones who also happen to struggle with addiction themselves.

I'm talking about the people who offer nothing to this particular community but randomly burst in with peremptory demands. "Tell me how I can get my wife to stop being so upset." "How can I get my husband to help me stop drinking?" "Help me explain this disease to my siblings."

WTH? It's as if they're saying, "I know all of you are at the end of your rope dealing with alcoholic loved ones--so now can you all stop whatever you were talking about and help ME."

I don't know if there's a way, feasibly, to curb it. If defamatory remarks or bad words are disallowed surely we can have a policy against this sort of--what would you call it--codie trolling? I respect that it's a decision for the mods but I hope my bringing it up is all right. For my part I won't be responding to them any longer.