View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jalacola

Question...please respond

I have a question. I am a wife of an alcoholic. He went to rehab for 15 days in August and since has drank several times. Granted, it is much better than the drinking EVERY night, but still, he really wants to stop. He has been attending AA meetings regularly, but his sponsor is basically useless. He has been sober for 18 years and my AH really liked him and thought that he would be a great sponsor. They set up a time (his sponsor's choice) to talk at 10 pm every night so that they wouldn't have to play phone-tag all day. 8 of 10 times, when my husband calls him at 10, he has to leave a voice mail, to which maybe half of the time he returns the call. The 2 of 10 times that his sponsor actually answers, he always asks if he can call him back in a few minutes, which may be 5 or may be an hour. Anyway, my husband left a message for him yesterday and asked him to call him at work today. He didn't. My husband called him from work b/c he was having a really rough day and left a message and he never called back. He left two more messages for him today and hasn't had a call returned. He feels so angry and so defeated. He has no idea how to do the steps alone. He is stuck on step 2 b/c his sponsor hasn't even begun to work on them with him. He told him 2 weeks ago that he was ready to really commit himself to sobriety and working the steps and there has been no more mention of it from his sponsor. Here's my question: How does he go about getting another one? He got this sponsor b/c he offered sponsorship at a meeting that his rehab had taken the group out to one night. He is under the impression that no one wants to sponsor anyone b/c no one has offered sponsorship to anyone at the group he attends. He is now telling me that he guesses he can just talk to me about his bad days, but that's how it has been for the past 7 years and, let's face it, it didn't work. Any suggestions? I know that alot of people have to go through several sponsors before getting a good one.